The Orpheum Theatre in downtown Wichita originally opened on Sept. 4, 1922, as the first atmospheric theatre in the United States. The auditorium features colonnades, balconies, lamps and a starry night sky meant to evoke a summer evening in an old Spanish garden courtyard.
Today the Orpheum is in the process of a careful and accurate restoration and is home to concerts, films, cultural events, local music, dance, lectures and entertainment. Going strong after more than 90 years, the Wichita Orpheum is a beautiful theater with a reception venue and versatile stage.
There are daily public tours open to the public for a $10 donation. Please call for more information.
Built in the early 1920s for an original cost of $750,000, the Wichita Orpheum was part of the famous national "Orpheum Circuit" and witnessed virtually every major star of vaudeville on it's stage. More than 17,000 acts appeared, with the playbill changing three times each week.
In 1980 the Orpheum was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1984 it was gifted to the Orpheum Performing Arts Centre, Ltd., a non-profit corporation which is dedicated to the preservation and restoration of this important part of our cultural and architectural heritage. Since renovations began, the theater has received new seats, a completely renovated lobby and ticket booth, new restrooms, and a new front marquee that is a faithful replica of the 1920s original.